_hg_ps1()

March 31, 2009 at 09:23 PM | categories: mercurial, bash | View Comments

In honor of the decision to move Python development to Mercurial, I decided to write something helpful. I've found __git_ps1() to be incredibly useful, so, here's my take on _hg_ps1():

_hg_root()
{
    local basedir=$(pwd)

    while [ '/' != "${basedir}" ]; do
        if [ -d "${basedir}/.hg" ]; then
            break;
        fi

        basedir="$(readlink -f "${basedir}/..")"
    done

    [ '/' == "${basedir}" ] || echo -n "${basedir}"
}

_hg_ps1()
{
    local g=$(_hg_root)
    if [ -n "${g}" ]; then
        local branch

        branch=$(hg branch)
        if [ -f "${g}/.hg/bookmarks.current" ]; then
            branch="$(< "${g}/.hg/bookmarks.current"):${branch}"
        fi

        if [ -n "${1-}" ]; then
            printf "$1" "${branch}"
        else
            printf " (%s)" "${branch}"
        fi
    fi
}

Yes, I know that the hg root command does the same thing as my _hg_root(), but it felt slow running mercurial before printing each prompt. The only thing that's missing is showing when merges are in progress. I'll try to add that the next time I need to do a manual merge.

Update: It seems that some of my repositories don't have a .hg/branch file so I'm calling hg branch for that info. Also, the readlink line in _hg_root() did not properly handle spaces.